Main Menu
H3D.org Feeds

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

3DVision rendering mode
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I am currently running Windows 10 and can run some opengl applications in full screen stereo rendering using GeForce card and Nvidia 3DVision. I saw that you do have support for the "NVIDIA_3DVISION" rendering mode nowadays, but when launching it I only see the background color, no errors. What could that mean?

I am using H3DWithToolkitsWin/trunk/H3D revision 4331.

Posted on: 1/9 9:57
Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Top

Re: 3DVision rendering mode
Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
First off, I would say this is still a tryout stage that was used once to compare performances, not sure how well kept it has been after that. Secondly did you see this kind of weird message in the description about the mode?

Quote:
NVidia 3DVision format when not using quad-buffered stereo.

Will copy OpenGL buffer and display with DirectX. Executable must be named to one of the NVidia sanctioned 3D programs in order to work, e.g. googleearth.exe.

See trunk documentation here:

http://www.h3dapi.org/uploads/api/Tru ... _1RenderMode.html#details

Posted on: 1/9 10:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I see, thanks for the quick info!
After exploring some more, it is actually the good old QUAD_BUFFERED_STEREO that is supported nowadays with geforce cards (yey!) but one needs to run the window fullscreen in "GameMode". I found that was already implemented and can be accessed with setting the environment variable H3D_GAMEMODE=1920x1080:32@120 before running H3DLoad. Nice!

However, my stupid monitor keeps getting into 144hz instead of 120hz, and it seems the only way is to enterGameMode() twice (or several times back/forth) to get into it. I have tried hacking GLUTWindow to have a key to switch between resolutions while running, which would probably do the trick. However the screen just turns black. I have probably not set up the context properly, or not re-initialized the scene or what could be required...?

Posted on: 1/11 15:17

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
If you are talking about the nvidia 3d vision system (discontinued product but still working as far as i know) then yes it is QUAD_BUFFERED_STEREO and IIRC GAMEMODE should not be required, only fullscreen and focus on the window.

Posted on: 1/12 9:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes indeed Nvidia 3D vision, its our only (monitor) option still right? I finally got it to work.

There is a way to disable 144hz altogether: https://forums.geforce.com/default/top ... /3d-vision/disable-144hz/

As you said it was actually enough with H3DLoad -f and QUAD_BUFFERED_STEREO. As a note though it also work with GameMode but requires the -A flag to disable GLUT_MULTISAMPLE (which you check for in GLUTWindow.cpp when NOT running GameMode).

Quite good news this, although it sux that they are deprecating 3dvision. Any good alternatives on the horizon?

Posted on: 1/12 11:36

Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
I do not know of much sadly.

I think nvidia is still selling their quadro cards.

Otherwise various HMDs might be a solution.

And finally, various extend-screen-on-two-monitors solutions using VERTICAL_SPLIT_KEEP_RATIO stereo modes with passive stereo glasses would work.

Posted on: 1/16 13:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.