H3D.org Feeds

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: VHTK getting started
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Dear Karlu

Thank you very much for your guidance. I was able to load the raw data using setup_sphere.x3d.

I was really amazed to see the outcome, very promising for my work. I can feel the haptic feedback in interacting with object.

Paper A : "Proxy based Haptic Feedback from Volume data"
To go on with my work, I would like to know If the methodology (Proxy based) is implemented using VHTK.

1. Any source code available?
2. Is it possible implement that idea using VHTK?
3. About the haptic feedback in setup_sphere.x3d,Is it based on Direct Force Mapping / Force function [Referring to your Paper A]?
4. Does it include any surface feedback?
5. In paper A, there is no information about how collision detection is handled. So , In proxy based method , what method you suggest [any relevant papers]?
6. What underlying data structure is used to store the density value in Proxy based methods?

Please guide me in this regard.

Your paper and the work it self really inspired me a lot .

I would be glad if I contact you directly via Email, would that be possible?

thanking you

Regards
Hari

Posted on: 2008/10/1 22:30
Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Top

Guru
Guru

See User information
The proxy-based approach in that paper is what I call based on the metaphor of yielding constraints representing the data, not force functions. VHTK uses haptic primitives, presented in "General Proxy-based Haptics for Volume Visualization", to produce the same effect. You can read about that in my thesis:

http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-8771

There is no collision detection since there is nothing to calculate collision with. This is described in chapter 3.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 17:07
KJ Lundin Palmerius
C Research
Linköping University, Sweden

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Dear Karlu

Thank you for your answers.

I do apologize to confuse you with my questions.

If I understand correctly ,the GOAL of the integration of haptic feedback in VHTK is to have a "Data Exploration" feature(No Collision).When exploring volumetric data (using VHTK), haptic feedback is computed based on the data values.

Am I correct?

Further, my requirement is haptic integration into Virtual reality [Not Data Exploration], for example, I need to feel the surface of an object constructed using volume data.
That is why I questioned about Collision Detection.

However I still believe that I could use VHTK in the case where I implement the process of cutting the virtual object (E.g: Teeth) and feel different force feedback according to the density values (different layers).
Do you think I could use VHTK for the above requirement?

and

Do you think I could use the method presented in paper A, based on the metaphor of yielding constraints representing the data for my requirement?

Could you please guide me in this regard?

Your inputs will greatly be valuable.

Sincerely
Hari

Posted on: 2008/10/3 10:17

Guru
Guru

See User information
It sounds like you want to implement bone drilling simulation, is that right? In that case, yes, I do believe that you can use some parts of VHTK for your task. The primary purpose of VHTK is, however, as you have noticed to provide haptic feedback for exploration of volumetric data, not simulation.

You might want to take a look at some research more closely related to bone drilling, for example publications by Andreas Petersik or Marco Agus.

Jonas Forsslund has kindly provided an open source implementation of the method presented by Agus et al. You might want to take a look at that.

Posted on: 2008/10/3 13:16
KJ Lundin Palmerius
C Research

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Dear Karlu

You are correct, I have to implement drilling simulation.In that case , I need to go through the VHTK code so that I could use it. Could you advice , what is the starting point in VHTK code to be checked.

I would also like to know if I could refer (for my work) the techniques presented in
- "Paper A"
- your thesis titled as "Natural Haptic Feedback from Volumetric Density Data"

Thank you for your suggestions, I looked for example publications by Andreas Petersik or Marco Agus. I got some of their papers.

I would like to know where I could find the mentioned open source implementation by Jonas Forsslund. Could you please provide me the URL ?

Thanking you

Sincerely
Hari

Posted on: 2008/10/4 4:51

Guru
Guru

See User information
I think you can use the data handling and visual rendering provided by VHTK. The haptic rendering of VHTK is not designed for you type of feedback.

I would not suggest by diploma work thesis as a reference. It is old and outdated. Read and refer instead to my PhD thesis or my other later publications. They are all listed on my webpage.

Jonas' code is provided by source forge. Check the ADrillForce project.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 10:38
KJ Lundin Palmerius
C Research

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Dear Karlu

Thank you very much for sharing the information on "ADrillforce".
I was able to build the project in my environment.I came to know this work with H3D API 2.0 , as there were problem in path settings.

As you mentioned early, ADrillforce is a open source implementation of the method presented by Agus et al.

I would like to know the method implemented , specifically which paper (of Agus) exactly was used.

please let me know if I could access any documentation for this project.

I also noticed that you are also one of the developer of this implementation.

Thanking you very much

sincerely
Hari

Posted on: 2008/10/8 8:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Dear Karlu

I communicated with Jonas Forsslund, though there are some files missing in the "ADrillforce" project. He might be able to publish it later.

thank you

Sincerely
Gajan

Posted on: 2008/10/10 8:52

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.