Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
H3D.org Feeds

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

VHTK or H3D

See User information

I need experts i both to help me make the decision.

1. I want to work with object mesh (heart model) to simulate deformation upon interaction and to probably simulate cutting. I might also need to consifer non-linear deformation and non-linear surface properties.

Question: Which one is better for me to use: H3D or VHTK?

I have tried H3D and I managed to do simple deformation. I've tried to install VHTK but i have the following problem when i tried to compile the project file:

enviroment values: projectname and tempname not found.

Maybe its because i use projconverter to convert the VCPROG file to version 6 project file. I haven't got version 7. So I reckon this will work.

Posted on: 2006/5/27 12:03
Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Top

Re: VHTK or H3D
Webmaster
Webmaster

See User information
You can unfortunately not use Visual Studio 6, since that version of the compiler does not support parts of the C++ standard that H3D API is using.

Posted on: 2006/5/29 5:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
There are huge differences between VC6 and VC7, I think you have to upgrade. I recently found out that Microsoft have released free versions of their development tools. You can download Visual Studio 2005 (VC8) from

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

VHTK is a toolkit for visualization with haptic interaction of volumetric data, not surface meshes. It is a toolkit for H3D API so you can combine mesh data and volume data.

/ Erik

Posted on: 2006/5/29 5:10

Guru
Guru

See User information
I agree. VHTK is a toolkit for interaction with volumetric data and it does not (yet?) support deformable data.

Posted on: 2006/5/29 7:34
KJ Lundin Palmerius
C Research
Linköping University, Sweden

See User information
Thanks guys. So I reckon I should just eiother use openhaptics or H3D for my project since i need to deform my mesh.

Can I still use H3D to manipulate volume mesh deformation (tiangular or tetrahedral mesh)? What are the tricks I should be aware of?

maybe i can use spring mass deform effect on the surface mesh and create a connection from one surface to another surface to create a volume force effect. Or I could create a volume mesh and have spring mass for every element in the volume to create a more realistic deformation and cutting simulation.

What do you giys reckon?

Posted on: 2006/5/29 9:02

Guru
Guru

See User information
Yes, I believe that H3D is a good system to build tetrahedral mesh handling upon. I have not implemented it myself, so I can't tell you any special tricks.

Posted on: 2006/5/29 9:55
KJ Lundin Palmerius
C Research

See User information
thanks. I shall give it a try. I'm currently trying it on both h3d and my openGl openhaptics solution.

By theway Ive downloaded the VC 8 express, and i tried to compile vhtk.vcproj..it gave me 27 errors and all point to window.h as not available.

Posted on: 2006/5/29 10:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Regarding VC8 express

You have to download and install the Platform SDK as well. Step 4 on the download page. The SDK contains the library files and include files needed. Note that you will have to make a couple of small configuration changes, just follow the instructions.

/ Erik

Posted on: 2006/5/29 11:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
(Realise this thread stopped a long time ago but only just go there so back to life it comes, anyway...)

Is this still the case, that VHTK doesn't support deformable mesh interaction as Guru suggests above? Presume H3D does though?

Was considering using H3D/VHTK for a medical simulator which people seem to be doing but not sure how sophisticated a haptics scheme such an API can support?

Would be wanting to interact with a deformable mesh using FEM techniques for the haptic side of things.

Anybody any thoughts on the suitability of H3D and/or VHTK?

Thanks very much,

Mat.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 10:56

Guru
Guru

See User information
VHTK is designed for performing haptic interaction with volumetric data, such as Computer Tomography, MRI and Computational Fluid Dynamics. If you want to do interaction with a FEM simulated 3D mesh, then maybe VHTK can help you, but regrettably not the current version. It sounds like you want to use a 2D mesh in 3D, which is another type of problem than that targeted by VHTK.

Posted on: 2007/3/8 3:55
KJ Lundin Palmerius
C Research

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.